Monday, February 18, 2013

Something new

Nothing excites me more than the prospect of starting something new in my world.  My church, Pilgrim UCC is starting a green church project and I am co-chair!  Fun Fun.  Boy do I have ideas.  First and foremost we need to get toxic cleaning supplies out of there!!  At home, we use completely natural products.  Vinegar and baking soda are my favorite go to cleaners.  I use vinegar for cleaning my floors, walls, and windows and baking soda is my scouring powder.  You know like comet but without the toxic chemicals in it.  I use that for my sinks and toilet (with a little vinegar it effervesces and and really cleans!  I also make my own laundry detergent, thank-you Duggar family for the recipe(Its on the family website), and that works too!  I will keep you posted on the progress.
So while we are on the subject of church, as many of you know the Lenten season is upon us.  Every year I rethink what I would like to "give up" for lent.  This year its sugar, I am an addict I admit it.  We all have our demons and mine looks like a big piece of chocolate cake.  Made with all natural ingredients of course!  I have been reading "Made to Crave" to help me through this season and by the way terrific book.  Just because it is permissible doesn't mean it should be over indulged.  Love this idea, we all need to look at our own demons in life and be reminded that the Divine is here for us no matter if it is Lent or not.
Sometimes Lent can be starting anew like planning a vegetable garden for your family, or perhaps a community garden on your church property.  I have pined through this for years.  Recently my minister "Paster Ted"  had a post on FB about feeding the hungry.  You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day but if you teach a man to fish he will eat the rest of his life.  Anyway, we have all this land just sitting there be wasted, why not have a garden where if you work and help tend it you can have the bounty from it.  This is also on my agenda.   I love life, God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment